|This 128-oz. PET bottle earned the 3M Integrity Award.
"The results are rewarding and educational for the innovators, the achievers, the judges and the packaging profession as a whole," IoPP wrote in announcing the 2005 award winners.
This year there were more than 100 entries in 14 categories, including four in the food category and three in the beverage category.
The 3M Integrity Award, one of two top honors, went to the "Hercules" 128-oz. polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle, used for Hawaiian Punch and Mott's Juice products of Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages.
"The packaging collaborates cost savings, environmental considerations and ease of manufacture to form a PET bottle that maintains functionality as well as brand equity on shelf," the judges wrote.
Some nominations come from the food marketer, others directly from the packaging suppliers, especially if the package is used by more than one processor. The other food and beverage winners (all winning packages also are shown in photos):
- Cryovac CN530TBG Bag
- In the food category, the Cryovac Food Packaging Div. of Sealed Air Corp. (
- ) won for the Cryovac CN530TBG Bag
- It "combines the heat tolerance of a cook-in bag with the high abuse protection and outstanding retail appearance of Cryovac TBG bags, resulting in a bag for bone-in, cook-in and post-pasteurization applications," judges wrote.
|Pillsbury's winning packages: The easy-open cookie dough chub (above) and the Perfect Portions MAP biscuit pack (below).|
- Pillsbury Easy-Open Cookie Dough Chub
- Fresh and frozen cookie dough revolutionized baking convenience. Minneapolis-based General Mills' Pillsbury brand cookie dough recently introduced a new chub style package with an opening feature that even the youngest chefs can maneuver and open with ease.
- Pillsbury Perfect Portions Package
- The General Mills brand also won for Pillsbury Perfect Portions biscuits. The package, incorporating modified atmosphere packaging, takes refrigerated biscuits out of the spiral-wound canister. It contains 10 ready-to-bake biscuits packed in pairs and in easy-open pouches. This packaging allows the consumer to bake two biscuits at a time and keep the remaining product sealed.
- Exopack Slider Zipper Multiwall Bag
- The pinch style multi-wall bag has become the standard for package sizes of 20 lbs. or more. But some consumers find it difficult to open and lacking resealability. The Slider Zipper Multiwall Bag from Exopack
- ) solves those issues.
|AGI/Klearfold's InSight Visual Packaging netted an award for Cocktails by Jenn.
- Cocktails by Jenn
- In the beverage category, Jenn's Cocktail Co., Ukiah, Calif., chose AGI/Klearfold's (
- ) InSight Visual Packaging
- for this new product launch. InSight combines printed rigid plastic sleeves and locking injection molded end caps to produce a distinctive visual package.
- Iron City Aluminum
- These quick-chilling, unbreakable aluminum bottles
- from CCL Container (
- ) are at the forefront of a trend in the brewing industry. The package also offers the qualities of superior barrier and UV protection. Pittsburgh Brewing Co. was the first to use them, but Anheuser-Busch soon followed.
- Houston Harvest Popcorn Tin
- In the promotional category, Houston Harvest
- chose Xtreme Graphics' (
- ) plastic printing to add a new dimension to this ordinary package with lenticular imaging. A mix of existing technologies results in the creation of a unique promotional package that has proven to be a hit with every market it's touched.
|Exopack's Slider Zipper Multiwall Bag is both easy to open and resealable.
||CCL Container's aluminum bottles chill quickly and are unbreakable.
|The Cryovac CN530TBG Bag unites high heat tolerance and abuse protection with outstanding retail appearance.
||Xtreme Graphics' lenticular imaging has added visual and merchandising "oomph" to Houston Harvest's popcorn tins, resulting in increased product sales.