Watermelon May Increase Libido

Researchers find watermelon contains ingredients which deliver Viagra-like effects to the body’s blood vessels and may even increase libido.

Share Print Related RSS

Researchers at Texas A&M’s Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center found watermelon contains ingredients which deliver Viagra-like effects to the body’s blood vessels and may even increase libido, reports AgNews.

“The more we study watermelons, the more we realize just how amazing a fruit it is in providing natural enhancers to the human body,” said Director Bhimu Patil. “We’ve always known that watermelon is good for you, but the list of its very important healthful benefits grows longer with each study.”

Almost 92 percent of watermelon is water, but the remaining 8 percent is loaded with lycopene, an antioxidant that protects the heart, prostate and skin health. Watermelon also contains beta carotene and citrulline – whose beneficial functions are now being unraveled. Among them is the ability to relax blood vessels, much like Viagra does.

Scientists know that when watermelon is consumed, citrulline is converted to arginine, an amino acid that works wonders on the heart and circulation system and maintains a good immune system through certain enzymes. “The citrulline-arginine relationship helps heart health, the immune system and may prove to be very helpful for those who suffer from obesity and type-2 diabetes,” said Patil. “Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it.”

Share Print Reprints Permissions

What are your comments?

You cannot post comments until you have logged in. Login Here.

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments