The Big 12: FDA's Official Health Claims
We reference the FDA’s officially sanctioned food and ingredient health claims a lot and have had several requests for the complete list. We're providing it below for your reference.
By Food Processing staff | 11/23/2011
We think it’s a little difficult to find the FDA’s officially sanctioned food and ingredient health claims on the FDA website, but with the help of someone from the agency we found them all at one location: www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/LabelClaims/HealthClaimsMeetingSignificantScientificAgreementSSA/default.htm
The official title is “Health Claims Meeting Significant Scientific Agreement (SSA).” The FDA URL above includes links to the relevant sections in the Code of Federal Regulations as well as the final rules.
But here in short form is the list – current as of Nov. 22, 2011 -- their CFR numbers and the dates of the final rules:
- Calcium, Vitamin D, and Osteoporosis (21 CFR 101.72) Sept. 29, 2008
- Dietary Lipids (Fat) and Cancer (21 CFR 101.73) April 2, 1993
- Dietary Saturated Fat and Cholesterol and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (21 CFR 101.75) Jan. 6, 1993
- Dietary Non-cariogenic Carbohydrate Sweeteners and Dental Caries (21 CFR 101.80) May 27, 2008
- Fiber-containing Grain Products, Fruits and Vegetables and Cancer (21 CFR 101.76) Jan. 6, 1993
- Folic Acid and Neural Tube Defects (21 CFR 101.79) March 5, 1996
- Fruits and Vegetables and Cancer (21 CFR 101.78) Jan. 6, 1993
- Fruits, Vegetables and Grain Products that contain Fiber, particularly Soluble fiber, and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (21 CFR 101.77) Jan. 6, 1993
- Sodium and Hypertension (21 CFR 101.74) April 1, 1993
- Soluble Fiber from Certain Foods and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (21 CFR 101.81) March 31, 1997
- Add Barley Betafiber Aug. 15, 2008
- Add Oatrim July 28, 2003
- Add Psyllium husk April 9, 1998
- Add Oats March 31, 1997.
- Soy Protein and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (21 CFR 101.82) Oct. 26, 1999
- Stanols/Sterols and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease (21 CFR 101.83) revised Dec. 8, 2010