With modest growth and estimated sales of $438 billion in 2013, the foodservice industry is shaping up for a healthy 2014. as well as a 5.9% increase in sales in 2014. Julia Gallo-Torres, category manager – US foodservice reports at Mintel, identified the following five trends that should shape restaurant menus in 2014:
- Fast casual pulls ahead. According to Mintel, the focus is on customization, speed of service and convenience.
- Premium proves practical. Full-service concepts are mimicking the winning ways of fast casual restaurants.
- Open book business practices. Many consumers are demanding transparency in the ingredient sourcing and business practices of their favorite foodservice locations.
- Due demographic diligence. Foodservice operators can not only look to Millennials but also growing opprtonities with Hispanics, women and Baby Boomers.
- Technology interface revolution. Technology shows no signs of slowing down with restaurants' increased use of technology to cut service times and offer loyalty programs.