Is wellness a long-lasting trend or great marketing tool?

During lunch last week, I asked trend guru Bob Messenger, a former editor of Food Processing, if wellness is a long-lasting trend or just a great marketing tool. After all, one would think with all the foods promising wellness -- from heart health to better digestion -- hitting the market,...

Food industry promotes nutritious choices

Children saw 25 percent fewer food, beverage and restaurant ads during kids’ shows in 2007 than they did in 2004, according to a Georgetown Economic Services (GES) study based on Nielsen Media Research ratings, commissioned by the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) and the Association of National Advertisers (ANA).  

Hershey rumors recirculate

Swiss food group Nestle and Hershey, Pa.-based Hershey are reportedly in talks involving either a merger or a stake sale, reports the Telegraph. Nestle plans to purchase 25 percent of Hershey, Pa.-based Hershey now and the remaining 75 percent within two years.

Spending behaviors shift

While it's certainly not news that high prices and economic fears are causing consumers to cut back, a new study of 500 consumers from Cramer-Krasselt finds that behaviors are shifting in ways few marketers may have expected, reports Marketing Daily.

Out with financials, in with food

On Sept. 22, Kraft Foods (KFT) will be added to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, replacing troubled insurance giant American International Group (AIG), leaving the Dow underweighted in financial stocks, reports MarketWatch. It’s notable that shares of Kraft and other food makers have performed better than the overall market.

All moms not created equal

A 2008 USDA survey found that 67 percent of primary eating occurs in the home. Mom is the traditional nutritional gatekeeper, so the Canned Food Alliance commissioned researchers at Rutgers University to survey moms of young children across New Jersey -- a diversely populated state that reflects national demographics –...

Crisis on Wall Street

Although it’s always a temptation to stay in bed on Monday morning, I’m sure many individuals wish they were able to erase this morning from their memory. Six months after the collapse of Bear Stearns, Wall Street awoke to a dramatically changed world as two more storied names -- Lehman...

Calling all consumers

Rolling out this year, the WebDiet smartphone-based service offers dietary recommendations sent throughout the day to suit the users' diet goals, reports Decision News Media. Using mobile phone technology, it will tell you if you have had enough fiber or Omega-3s, how many calories you’ve consumed, how much fat you’ve...

“That’s Grrrreat!”

 Kellogg has sufficient evidence to support its Frosted Flakes Gold cereal "long-lasting energy" claim, according to the Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU), an investigative unit under the National Advertising Review Council, who set out to substantiate those claims, reports Brandweek.

Labeling your carbon footprint

In a bid to raise public awareness about global warming, Japan is planning to label a range of consumer goods with their carbon footprints – or how much gas responsible for global warming has been emitted through production and delivery, reports AFP.