National Nutrition Month Promotes Wellness
The campaign's sponsor, the American Dietetic Association (ADA), offers specific advice each year; this year its "key messages" include:
- Be adventurous and expand your horizons. Variety is the “spice of life” in your food choices and is key to good nutrition and health. Choose foods based on flavor, texture and colors that are tasty and healthy. Explore the wide world of nutrition by trying a variety of foods.
- Treat your taste buds. You decide how much and how often. Choose foods sensibly by looking at the big picture; it’s what you eat over several days, not just one meal or day that counts. So enjoy all your favorite foods, just try eating them in moderate amounts.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Managing your weight plays a vital role in achieving and maintaining good health and quality of life. Carrying excess weight may put you at greater risk for health problems. The good news is that healthy eating and regular physical activity make it easier to achieve lifelong weight management and longâterm health!
- Balance food choices with your lifestyle. Choosing the right balance of foods helps you get the right combination of nutrients. So balance your food choices with your physical activities to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.
- Be active. Be creative and enjoy a variety of ways to stay active to feel your best. There’s no need for expensive equipment or complicated fitness programs. Start by making a list of physical activities that fit into your lifestyle and schedule one every day.