Kraft steps up 'Sensible Solutions' initiatives
"Our health and wellness program is an important business initiative that we believe is critical to the long-term success of Kraft," Deromedi said. "Were taking steps that are responsive to societal concerns, while at the same time driving our business results by transforming our portfolio to better align with consumer trends."
Kraft was recognized at the Summit because it has implemented a number of initiatives across the health and wellness spectrum. These include developing new, better-for-you product choices for consumers; adjusting the companys marketing policies; providing enhanced nutrition and healthy lifestyle information to consumers; and increasing its investments in programs that teach kids how to live healthier lives.
At the Summit, as a further indication of the companys commitment to these issues, Deromedi announced:
- Another voluntary change to Krafts marketing to children practices. By the end of 2006, only products that meet Krafts Sensible Solution nutrition standards will appear on Kraft websites that primarily reach children ages 6-11. This strengthens earlier marketing policy changes, including advertising only Sensible Solution products in TV, radio and print media primarily viewed by children ages 6-11. Kraft also is working with others in the food industry to strengthen self-regulation of food and beverage marketing to younger children.
- The debut of Nabisco 100% Whole Grain cookies and crackers, each of which is baked with 100% whole grain and contains 0g trans fat per serving. The new line, available in stores nationwide this month, features a number of varieties, including Wheat Thins crackers and Fig Newtons cookies.
- A pledge of $2 million in grants through 2007 in support of healthier lifestyles in California. These programs will include:
- expanding salad bar availability in the Oakland Unified School District,
- partnering with Southern California food banks and health centers to combine distribution of nutritious foods with health screenings and medical referrals, and
- bringing Krafts healthy lifestyles program for Latinos -- Salsa Sabor y Salud -- to eight community-based organizations in Los Angeles.
For more information on Kraft Foods, please visit our website at www.kraft.com.