Home » All Things Organic Announces Winners of 2009 New Product Competition
All Things Organic Announces Winners of 2009 New Product Competition
The first All Things Organic New Product Competition recognized the best new organic products of 2009 June 18 during a ceremony held at the All Things Organic Conference & Trade Show in Chicago.
A panel of food professionals gathered on site to judge the selected finalists and choose the winners. Products were judged based on a set of criteria specific to each category including taste, appearance, efficacy, convenience & practicality, packaging & merchandising, as well as its originality & marketability.
The 2009 winners are:
- The Organic Smokehouse’s Elderflower Cured Gravadlax (Best Overall Organic Retail)- A salmon cured in a traditional Welsh smokehouse in England that is certified organic by the Soil Association. This product also won the award for Best Retail Package design at the 2009 Seafood Prix d'Elite New Products Competition in Belgium.
- Cloud Top Organic Functional Frozen Yogurt (Best Overall Organic Foodservice)-The first U.S. certified organic tart frozen yogurt fortified with health enhancing vitamins and nutrients.
- SK Food International’s Crimson Red Corn (Best Overall Organic Ingredient)-A hybrid corn with a gene that prevents GMO contamination, used as an ingredient in snack foods, tortillas, and flour.
- Bethel Organics Inc. Real Organic Real Easy Seed Starting Kit (Best Overall Organic Non-Food)-The kit includes dot pots-biodegradable containers that promote root growth and allow easy transplant-as well as seeds and everything else needed for plant starts.
One New Organic Product Grand Award was given out as well to the product with the highest overall score. With an overall score of 296 points out of a possible 300, the prize was awarded to Bethel Organics Inc. Real Organic Real Easy Seed Starting Kit.
The 2009 Panel of Judges included:
Scott P. Silverman, Category Director (Natural & Organic), Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
Steve Schoultz, Director – Contract Manufacturing, Sara Lee Corporation
Vaughan Lazar, President/Founder, Pizza Fusion
PepsiCo Stock Hits 32-Year High, but Why?
Decent first quarter but also investment firms buys a big stake.
Happy Family Bought by Groupe Danone
Dannon parent acquires 92 percent of seven-year-old toddler food company.
Anuga 2013: A Taste of Global Innovations Set to Take Place October 5-9
The huge global food show will be October 5-9 in Cologne, Germany.
Vermont Passes Genetic Labeling Bill
The Vermont House of Representatives approved H.112 on May 10. The bill will go to the senate next in fall 2013. If passed, the earliest the act could become law is January 2014.
GMO Labeling Effort Reaches Washington
Senate and House bills would require the FDA to develop regulations for the labeling of food containing bioengineered ingredients.
Burger King CEO To Take Over at Heinz
Bernardo Hees of 3G Capital is new CEO of Pittsburgh acquisition.
The New Hostess Company Resumes Operations
The Metropolous-Apollo-controlled company plans to reopen four plants and hire workers, but not union labor.
- 04/19/2013 Cheesemaker, Restaurant Chain Hold Mac and Cheese Cookoff
- 04/19/2013 Restaurant Chain That Also Supplies School Lunches Goes Trans Fat-Free
$10 Billion Offer for D.E Master Blenders 1753
Former part of Sara Lee eyed by European fund Joh. A. Benckiser.
- All news »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »