Home » Mintel predicts flavor and scent trends for 2010
Mintel predicts flavor and scent trends for 2010
Mintel's flavor predictions for 2010
- Cardamom - Known to be intensely aromatic with a strong, unique taste, cardamom will find a home in more than just ethnic fare. Cosmic Chocolate recently launched a chocolate bar flavored with cardamom and oranges.
- Sweet Potato - Candied, fried, baked or boiled...sweet potatoes are one of the most diversely prepared vegetables. Aside from being a delicious snack or side dish, they also will become known as the new functional food, as they are rich in dietary fiber, beta carotene and vitamins C and B6.
- Hibiscus - Commonly seen in teas, the USDA has said that consuming hibiscus tea can lower blood pressure. In the future, expect to see it become a common ingredient in the beverage market. Premium Essence Water from Hint now offers Hibiscus-Vanilla flavored water.
- Cupuaçu - The taste of the Amazon...cupuaçu is the next big superfruit. And when we say big, we mean big! It contains more than 10 vitamins and antioxidants, as well as essential fatty acids and amino acids. Musselmans launched a lime and cupuaçu flavored apple sauce showcasing this unique flavor.
- Rose water - Rose water is no longer just a fragrance. You can look forward to finding it as a common flavor in ethnic foods or, like Ghalia Organic Desserts in Los Angeles discovered, you can add it to your brownie recipe for a subtle rose water flavor.
- Latin - Latin spices will be heating up our palates next year, and you won't have to dine out to get these exciting flavors. Whole Foods Market now offers a Mayan Ceviche; meanwhile, Icelandic Salsa Shrimp Cocktail features a spice packet loaded with the popular Latin flavor of cilantro.
Mintel's scent predictions for 2010:
- Simple, clean - When it comes to new scents, manufacturers are keeping it simple. In 2010, expect to see everything from body lotions to dish detergents to air fresheners launched with few- or single-component scents. Palmolive launched their Clean + Clear dishwashing liquid that boasts no heavy fragrances or unnecessary chemicals.
- Scents to influence mood - During a time of high-stress lifestyles, consumers are looking for any way they can to "escape" the rigors of everyday life. A candle that smells like a piña colada might be reminiscent of a beach vacation or an air freshener that has a pumpkin spice scent could remind you of the holidays.
PepsiCo Stock Hits 32-Year High, but Why?
Decent first quarter but also investment firms buys a big stake.
Happy Family Bought by Groupe Danone
Dannon parent acquires 92 percent of seven-year-old toddler food company.
Anuga 2013: A Taste of Global Innovations Set to Take Place October 5-9
The huge global food show will be October 5-9 in Cologne, Germany.
Vermont Passes Genetic Labeling Bill
The Vermont House of Representatives approved H.112 on May 10. The bill will go to the senate next in fall 2013. If passed, the earliest the act could become law is January 2014.
GMO Labeling Effort Reaches Washington
Senate and House bills would require the FDA to develop regulations for the labeling of food containing bioengineered ingredients.
Burger King CEO To Take Over at Heinz
Bernardo Hees of 3G Capital is new CEO of Pittsburgh acquisition.
The New Hostess Company Resumes Operations
The Metropolous-Apollo-controlled company plans to reopen four plants and hire workers, but not union labor.
- 04/19/2013 Cheesemaker, Restaurant Chain Hold Mac and Cheese Cookoff
- 04/19/2013 Restaurant Chain That Also Supplies School Lunches Goes Trans Fat-Free
$10 Billion Offer for D.E Master Blenders 1753
Former part of Sara Lee eyed by European fund Joh. A. Benckiser.
- All news »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »