Research firm Mintel has found American consumers are drinking alcohol more at home than in bars or restaurants.
The research found that among alcohol drinkers:
- 90% consume alcoholic beverages at home
- 77% drink outside the home
According to Mintel, the off-premise alcoholic beverage market has grown 21% since 2004. Drinkers are also cutting back in terms of the alcohol they’re purchasing for at-home consumption – 28% of respondents who drink alcoholic beverages at home have traded down to less expensive brands than last year to save money.
In terms of sales:
- 48% of market sales for alcohol are for beer
- 67% of those who drink alcohol at home indulging in a glass of wine.
- 57% of respondents consumed distilled spirits while 53% consumed regular beer