Home » Harris Interactive Reveals Cooking Trends in America
Harris Interactive Reveals Cooking Trends in America
also cited: harrisinteractive.com
A recent poll conducted by Harris Interactive revealed some interesting facts about American home cooks.
- 79% of adults say they enjoy cooking
- 30% say they love it
- 49% say they enjoy it when they have the time.
- 14% say they do not enjoy cooking
- 7% do not cook
The Harris Poll consisted of 2,503 adults surveyed online between May 10-17, 2010 by Harris Interactive.
The poll also revealed which age groups can most often be found in the kitchen:
- 33% of Matures (those 65 and older) love cooking
- 28% of Baby Boomers (those 46-64)
Men were more likely to say they love cooking (32% versus 28% of women).
As for how often Americans are cooking, the poll revealed:
- 41% say they prepare meals at home five or more times a week
- 29% do so three to four times a week
- 19% of U.S. adults prepare meals at home one to two times a week
- 11% rarely or never prepare meals at home.
There is a generational difference in frequency of preparing meals at home:
- 52% of Matures cook at home five or more times per week
- 33% of Echo Boomers (those aged 18-33) cook at home five or more times per week
- 22% say they often cook only for themselves
- 76% often cook for their family
- 22% often cook for friends.
How people cook
Among those who prepare meals at home:
- 81% say they cook what they are familiar with very often
- 75% say they very often or occasionally will use pre-prepped and/or frozen ingredients
United Fresh Produce Association Reports on 2013 Produce Industry Compensation
Produce industry executives see a 2.9 percent increase in salary according to the Compensation and Benefits Report released by the United Fresh Produce Association.
Lactalis American-Parmalat Deal Altered
Amidst investigation, $144 million cut in purchase price.
Compensation Study Reveals Food and Beverage Company CEO Pay
Irene Rosenfeld leads the food and beverage execs, as long-term, performance-based incentives replace upfront pay.
Murdock Offers to Take Dole Private, Again
Chairman/CEO’s offer values company at $1 billion.
New Management Team at Day-Lee Foods
Plan for aggressive growth.
PepsiCo-Muller Joint Venture Yogurt Plant Opens
Muller Quaker Dairy comes on line in Batavia, N.Y.; hoping for LEED certification.
JBS Acquires U.S. Operations of XL Foods
A running plant in Omaha, idle one in Nampa.
FDA Seeking New Industry User FeesFrom Special to ThePacker.com
Food manufacturers disagree with the FDA's suggestion to add a food processing facility registration fee.
Tyson Buys Mexican Food-Maker Circle Foods
The acquisition fortifies Tyson's value-added and Mexican portfolios.
Chinese Poultry Plant Fire Kills 119
Ammonia leak apparently sparked explosion.
- All news »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »