Harris Interactive Reveals Cooking Trends in America
A recent poll conducted by Harris Interactive revealed some interesting facts about American home cooks.
- 79% of adults say they enjoy cooking
- 30% say they love it
- 49% say they enjoy it when they have the time.
- 14% say they do not enjoy cooking
- 7% do not cook
The Harris Poll consisted of 2,503 adults surveyed online between May 10-17, 2010 by Harris Interactive.
The poll also revealed which age groups can most often be found in the kitchen:
- 33% of Matures (those 65 and older) love cooking
- 28% of Baby Boomers (those 46-64)
Men were more likely to say they love cooking (32% versus 28% of women).
As for how often Americans are cooking, the poll revealed:
- 41% say they prepare meals at home five or more times a week
- 29% do so three to four times a week
- 19% of U.S. adults prepare meals at home one to two times a week
- 11% rarely or never prepare meals at home.
There is a generational difference in frequency of preparing meals at home:
- 52% of Matures cook at home five or more times per week
- 33% of Echo Boomers (those aged 18-33) cook at home five or more times per week
- 22% say they often cook only for themselves
- 76% often cook for their family
- 22% often cook for friends.
How people cook
Among those who prepare meals at home:
- 81% say they cook what they are familiar with very often
- 75% say they very often or occasionally will use pre-prepped and/or frozen ingredients