Mintel's Global Market Navigator found that Americans consume 3.05L of energy drinks per capita each year, but energy drink market penetration remained flat at 15% of all adults aged 18+ during 2007-2009.
Energy drinks/shots non-users cite high prices (48%), too much caffeine (43%) and a general feeling that energy drinks/shots just aren't good for you (43%) as reasons why they have not consumed any in the past three months.
- 16% of energy drink non-users and 14% of energy shots non-users would be encouraged to try an energy drink or shot if free samples were offered at a store where they usually shop.
- 14% of non-users would be more likely to try energy drinks (11% for energy shots) if they had natural ingredients.
Mintel also found:
- 71% of energy drink users (80% of energy shot users) consume them for an energy boost
- 57% of energy drink users employ them to stay awake
- 60% of energy shot users say they drink them for mental alertness.
- Energy drink/shot consumers are more likely to use energy shots (30%) than energy drinks (23%) to enhance sports performance.