Home » Mars, Nestle Among ‘Product of the Year’ Winners
Mars, Nestle Among ‘Product of the Year’ Winners
By Food Processing staff
Jimmy Dean, M&M's and Lipton were among the brands recognized as Products of the Year in their respective categories by Product of the Year, a French organization that gives the awards in 28 countries.
The 2011 awards were the third annual Product of the Year presentation in the U.S. More than 60,000 American shoppers voted on products in 28 consumer goods categories in a survey conducted by TNS, which claims to be the world's largest custom research agency.
The food & beverage categories and their winners were:
- Candy & Snacks: M&M's Pretzel Chocolate Candies (Mars Chocolate North America)
- Frozen Foods: Lean Cuisine Market Creations (Nestle USA)
- Specialty Foods: Buitoni Riserva Frozen Complete Meals for Two (Nestle USA)
- Cooking Spices: Recipe Inspirations (McCormick & Co.)
- Beverage: Lipton Brisk (Pepsi-Lipton Partnership)
- Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles (Sara Lee)
- Cooking: Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil (Sovena USA)
- Pet Food: Temptations MixUps Treats for Cats (Mars Petcare U.S.)
"Consumers are smarter than ever and watching what they spend more intelligently," said Phil Lempert, who has named himself the Supermarket Guru, and who was one of the speakers at the February awards ceremony. "Even though mobile devices and social networks offer just about every product review possible, it is still the ‘human’ social network that is the most powerful. With over 60,000 shoppers voting on the most innovative for a Product of the Year award, there is not a better recommendation."
As part of its survey of shoppers, TNS also compiled shopper attitudes. According to this survey, 80 percent of consumers are willing to try new products, while 68 percent of shoppers say a consumer-voted award means more than an expert's opinion. Recommendations from friends or family positively impact purchase interest among close to half the population.
"Even though modern-day consumers are tasked with deciding which products to use on a regular basis, shoppers are willing to trust their peers when it comes to trying new products that provide great value," said Herb Sorensen, TNS Scientific Advisor for Global Retail & Shopper Practice.Winners in the nonfood categories were:
- Personal Care - Speed Stick and Lady Speed Stick Stainguard Antiperspirant Deodorant - Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Toothpaste - Aquafresh iso-active Whitening - GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- Mouthwash - LISTERINE ZERO, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.
- Feminine Products - U by Kotex - Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Hair Care - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions - Procter & Gamble
- Hair Styling - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments - Procter & Gamble
- Baby Care - Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers - Procter & Gamble
- Male Grooming - Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor - Procter & Gamble
- Air Care - Air Wick Air Freshener - Reckitt Benckiser
- Personal Hygiene - LYSOL Healthy Touch No-Touch Hand Soap System - Reckitt Benckiser
- Insecticide - Raid Max Bug Barrier - S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- Pet Health - GREENIES JointCare Treats - The Nutro Company
- Cosmetics - MD Lash Factor Eyelash Conditioner - La Canada Ventures, Inc.
- AT HOME BEAUTY TREATMENT - no!no! Hair 8800 - Radiancy, Inc.
“Shoppers nationwide will be able to recognize the winners starting in February of this year by looking for the red 'Product of the Year' stamp on packaging, in advertising and in-store displays,” said Colleen Kelly, managing director of Product of the Year. The awards were established 25 years ago in France.
Last year's winners included products from Coca-Cola, S.C. Johnson, Tide, Clairol and Sprite among others.
Product of the Year accepts entries every year from consumer packaged goods that demonstrate innovation and were launched within the previous year. Entered products are then placed into specific categories such as food, beverages, personal care, household care, etc. with a product then being chosen as a winner in its category through a nationally representative online study.
For more information visit www.productoftheyearusa.com.
PepsiCo Stock Hits 32-Year High, but Why?
Decent first quarter but also investment firms buys a big stake.
Happy Family Bought by Groupe Danone
Dannon parent acquires 92 percent of seven-year-old toddler food company.
Anuga 2013: A Taste of Global Innovations Set to Take Place October 5-9
The huge global food show will be October 5-9 in Cologne, Germany.
Vermont Passes Genetic Labeling Bill
The Vermont House of Representatives approved H.112 on May 10. The bill will go to the senate next in fall 2013. If passed, the earliest the act could become law is January 2014.
GMO Labeling Effort Reaches Washington
Senate and House bills would require the FDA to develop regulations for the labeling of food containing bioengineered ingredients.
Burger King CEO To Take Over at Heinz
Bernardo Hees of 3G Capital is new CEO of Pittsburgh acquisition.
The New Hostess Company Resumes Operations
The Metropolous-Apollo-controlled company plans to reopen four plants and hire workers, but not union labor.
- 04/19/2013 Cheesemaker, Restaurant Chain Hold Mac and Cheese Cookoff
- 04/19/2013 Restaurant Chain That Also Supplies School Lunches Goes Trans Fat-Free
$10 Billion Offer for D.E Master Blenders 1753
Former part of Sara Lee eyed by European fund Joh. A. Benckiser.
- All news »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »