Mars, Nestle Among Product of the Year Winners
Jimmy Dean, M&M's and Lipton were among the brands recognized as Products of the Year in their respective categories by Product of the Year, a French organization that gives the awards in 28 countries.
The 2011 awards were the third annual Product of the Year presentation in the U.S. More than 60,000 American shoppers voted on products in 28 consumer goods categories in a survey conducted by TNS, which claims to be the world's largest custom research agency.
The food & beverage categories and their winners were:
- Candy & Snacks: M&M's Pretzel Chocolate Candies (Mars Chocolate North America)
- Frozen Foods: Lean Cuisine Market Creations (Nestle USA)
- Specialty Foods: Buitoni Riserva Frozen Complete Meals for Two (Nestle USA)
- Cooking Spices: Recipe Inspirations (McCormick & Co.)
- Beverage: Lipton Brisk (Pepsi-Lipton Partnership)
- Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles (Sara Lee)
- Cooking: Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil (Sovena USA)
- Pet Food: Temptations MixUps Treats for Cats (Mars Petcare U.S.)
"Consumers are smarter than ever and watching what they spend more intelligently," said Phil Lempert, who has named himself the Supermarket Guru, and who was one of the speakers at the February awards ceremony. "Even though mobile devices and social networks offer just about every product review possible, it is still the ‘human’ social network that is the most powerful. With over 60,000 shoppers voting on the most innovative for a Product of the Year award, there is not a better recommendation."
As part of its survey of shoppers, TNS also compiled shopper attitudes. According to this survey, 80 percent of consumers are willing to try new products, while 68 percent of shoppers say a consumer-voted award means more than an expert's opinion. Recommendations from friends or family positively impact purchase interest among close to half the population.
"Even though modern-day consumers are tasked with deciding which products to use on a regular basis, shoppers are willing to trust their peers when it comes to trying new products that provide great value," said Herb Sorensen, TNS Scientific Advisor for Global Retail & Shopper Practice.Winners in the nonfood categories were:
- Personal Care - Speed Stick and Lady Speed Stick Stainguard Antiperspirant Deodorant - Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Toothpaste - Aquafresh iso-active Whitening - GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- Mouthwash - LISTERINE ZERO, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.
- Feminine Products - U by Kotex - Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Hair Care - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions - Procter & Gamble
- Hair Styling - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments - Procter & Gamble
- Baby Care - Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers - Procter & Gamble
- Male Grooming - Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor - Procter & Gamble
- Air Care - Air Wick Air Freshener - Reckitt Benckiser
- Personal Hygiene - LYSOL Healthy Touch No-Touch Hand Soap System - Reckitt Benckiser
- Insecticide - Raid Max Bug Barrier - S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- Pet Health - GREENIES JointCare Treats - The Nutro Company
- Cosmetics - MD Lash Factor Eyelash Conditioner - La Canada Ventures, Inc.
- AT HOME BEAUTY TREATMENT - no!no! Hair 8800 - Radiancy, Inc.
“Shoppers nationwide will be able to recognize the winners starting in February of this year by looking for the red 'Product of the Year' stamp on packaging, in advertising and in-store displays,” said Colleen Kelly, managing director of Product of the Year. The awards were established 25 years ago in France.
Last year's winners included products from Coca-Cola, S.C. Johnson, Tide, Clairol and Sprite among others.
Product of the Year accepts entries every year from consumer packaged goods that demonstrate innovation and were launched within the previous year. Entered products are then placed into specific categories such as food, beverages, personal care, household care, etc. with a product then being chosen as a winner in its category through a nationally representative online study.
For more information visit www.productoftheyearusa.com.