Home » IFT and FAO Form Partnership to Address Global Food System Needs
IFT and FAO Form Partnership to Address Global Food System Needs
By Food Processing Staff
With the goal of achieving a safe and sufficient worldwide food supply, the Chicago-based Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) signed a memorandum of understanding with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
The agreement facilitates cooperation between the two, with IFT called on to:
- Identify individuals for consideration in food safety, quality and security-related expert rosters.
- Create conferences, seminars and workshops related to food safety, emerging technologies, food science and nutrition.
- Assist with education curriculum development, review of university food science and nutrition programs in developing countries.
- Provide scientific input on background papers, scientific perspectives and documents.
- Respond on public policy and regulatory issues relating to and affecting the global food supply.
FAO's goal is to make sure people around the world have access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives; to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.
In the process, the organization must work at the country level to build legal and institutional support for science- and risk-based approaches to the food supply.
IFT members who are interested in contributing expertise should contact William Fisher, vice president of science policy and initiatives, at 202-330-4977 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Family Bought by Groupe Danone
Dannon parent acquires 92 percent of seven-year-old toddler food company.
Anuga 2013: A Taste of Global Innovations Set to Take Place October 5-9
The huge global food show will be October 5-9 in Cologne, Germany.
Vermont Passes Genetic Labeling Bill
The Vermont House of Representatives approved H.112 on May 10. The bill will go to the senate next in fall 2013. If passed, the earliest the act could become law is January 2014.
GMO Labeling Effort Reaches Washington
Senate and House bills would require the FDA to develop regulations for the labeling of food containing bioengineered ingredients.
Burger King CEO To Take Over at Heinz
Bernardo Hees of 3G Capital is new CEO of Pittsburgh acquisition.
The New Hostess Company Resumes Operations
The Metropolous-Apollo-controlled company plans to reopen four plants and hire workers, but not union labor.
- 04/19/2013 Cheesemaker, Restaurant Chain Hold Mac and Cheese Cookoff
- 04/19/2013 Restaurant Chain That Also Supplies School Lunches Goes Trans Fat-Free
$10 Billion Offer for D.E Master Blenders 1753
Former part of Sara Lee eyed by European fund Joh. A. Benckiser.
Pinnacle Foods Goes Public
Blackstone Group sells 32 percent of Pinnacle Foods into stock market.
- All news »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »