McCormick & Company revealed its 13th annual Flavor Forecast Report on December 6. The report spotlights the flavor trends that the company expects will drive innovation over the next several years.
The report is created by a team of McCormick chefs, sensory scientists, dietitians, trend trackers, marketing experts and food technologists. The forecast team has identified five trends McCormick believes will drive new product development. Also offered are 10 flavor combinations that show how these trends can be used.
The 2013 flavor trends are:
- No Apologies Necessary – Diving headfirst into sumptuous flavors to enjoy the gratification of a momentary escape
- Decadent Bitter Chocolate, Sweet Basil & Passion Fruit – An intensely indulgent combo that delights all the senses
- Black Rum, Charred Orange & Allspice – An instant tropical getaway, this sultry collision balances richness and warmth
- Personally Handcrafted – A hands-on approach showcasing the very best of ourselves
- Cider, Sage & Molasses – Rustic and comforting, this combo brings natural goodness to every meal of the day
- Smoked Tomato, Rosemary, Chile Peppers & Sweet Onion – Smoky, sweet and spicy flavors energize handcrafted ketchup, sauces, jams and more
- Empowered Eating – Creating health and wellness harmony through a highly personalized, flexible approach
- Farro Grain, Blackberry & Clove – Healthy ancient grain rediscovered with powerful hits of fruit and spice
- Market-Fresh Broccoli & Dukkah (blend of cumin, coriander, sesame and nuts) – Satisfying flavors and textures, mixing unexpected varieties of broccoli with Middle Eastern spice blends
- Hidden Potential – A waste-not mentality, uncovering the fullest flavors from every last part of the ingredient
- Hearty Meat Cuts, Plantain & Stick Cinnamon – A new take on meat and potatoes, these ingredients inspire creative approaches that unlock their full flavor potential
- Artichoke, Paprika & Hazelnut – Ingredients you thought you knew invite new explorations, unleashing their deliciously versatile starring qualities
- "Global My Way" - Describes how people are discovering formerly “ethnic” ingredients beyond their traditional uses.
- Japanese Katsu Sauce & Oregano – Tangy flavors of BBQ and steak sauce create the next go-to condiment
- Anise & Cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce) – Sweet, rich delight transports desserts and savory dishes to new places