Lunasin peptides may lower cholesterol and have cancer-preventive properties
Soy Labs LLC, a Fairfield, Calif.-based neutriceutical company, presents Lunasin-XP, a proprietary ingredient for inclusion in soyfoods, nutritional supplements, cosmeceuticals, functional foods and beverages. Lunasin, first discovered in 1996, is a 43 amino-acid peptide first isolated from soybeans and recently found in barley as well. Research by the company shows the lunasin peptide works at the genetic level and exhibits cholesterol lowering actions as well as cancer-preventive properties. Lunasin was first investigated as a factor that might prevent cancer cells from dividing and multiplying. It is believed to block cell division by binding to specific chromosomal proteins. Further research has shown the lunasin peptide appears to inhibit the natural production of cholesterol in the liver and also appears to enhance the binding of LDL cholesterol in the body.
If the company’s claims of functionality are supported by peer-reviewed research, then lunasin may prove to be an interesting nutraceutical which could become a part of a dietary intervention to help persons with high cholesterol levels. The isolation and characterization of lunasin, as well as attempts to elucidate the mechanism of its actions, provide formulators and processors with the science-based background necessary to develop and use soy nutraceuticals effectively in formulation toward preventing disease and enhancing health.
- Biocatalysts Introduces Pectinase 872L Fruit-Firming Enzyme
- Sensient Colors Introduces DustPro NXT
- Sensient Colors Introduces Advanced Emulsion For Natural Colors
- Van Drunen Farms Introduces Freeze-Dried Lime Powder
- WILD Flavors expands flavoring line with Sweetness Enhancer
- Van Drunen Farms introduces lemon flavoring ingredients
- TIC Gums reveals Add-Here 3200 hydrocolloid system
- FMC BioPolymer reveals its health and nutrition product portfolio
- AKFP introduces Suchero organic coconut palm sugar
- PureCircle unveils high-purity Reb D
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »