Shelf-stable meals are packed with veggies
A diet rich in fruits and vegetables may help to lower the risk for certain diseases and illnesses and help to keep the body strong. While the USDA and Health and Human Services recommend consuming 2.5 cups of vegetables each day, studies indicate most Americans eat less than half that amount.
San Francisco-based Del Monte Foods offers a way for Americans to get more vegetables into their diet by offering a convenient and great-tasting product line that is making lunch one of the most nutritious and easiest meals of the day.
Del Monte Harvest Selections microwavable meals are packed with a full cup of vegetables per meal, meeting 40 percent of the recommendations for vegetables and fruits.
They’re available in six varieties: Beef Stew, Italian Style Pasta Bake, Chicken Cacciatore and Homestyle Chili with Beans, plus two vegetarian options, Spinach and Cheese Ravioli and Santa-Fe Style Rice and Beans. These microwavable meals are shelf-stable, with no refrigerator or freezer required, and are ready in only 90 seconds, which is about one-third the time needed for a frozen meal and without the mess or time involved in meal preparation.
“We know busy consumers are continuing to look for delicious and convenient options when it comes to getting more vegetables into their diet,” says Rodolfo Spielmann, vice president of marketing. “This single-serve, shelf-stable meal is packed with 40 percent of the USDA MyPyramid recommendations for vegetables — making it one of the most healthful microwavable options available in the grocery store. Importantly, you don’t have to freeze it — simply keep it in your pantry or desk until you are ready to eat.”
Suggested retail price is $2.59.
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »