Mountain Dew Voltage Wins Election
Voters have spoken and with 42 percent of the vote, Mountain Dew Voltage from Purchase, N.Y.-based Pepsi-Cola North America was elected as its new flavor line extension in the Mountain Dew DEWmocracy Election.
Mountain Dew Voltage, charged with raspberry citrus flavor and ginseng, officially will take office in January 2009 when it starts appearing on store shelves nationwide. The DEWmocracy election was a contest between three Mountain Dew flavors - Mountain Dew Revolution, Mountain Dew Supernova and Mountain Dew Voltage – created in part by consumers, yes by consumers.
In October 2007, consumers began participating in a series of interactive games at DEWmocracy.com to develop every aspect of the three “candidates,” including color, flavor and name. Candidates were available in stores across the country for a limited time this summer. In addition to the more than 350,000 votes that were cast at dewmocracy.com, the company claims thousands of enthusiastic consumers were campaigning for their favorite flavor on the site.
“Through this groundbreaking promotion that attracted more than 1.6 million to our site, we gave consumers unprecedented control over the brand, and they delivered by developing three terrific products,” says Frank Cooper, VP of portfolio brands for Pepsi-Cola North America. “In many respects, Voltage is the ‘People’s Dew.’ Consumers designed every aspect of the product, actively campaigned for it and finally elected it as the next line extension.”
DEWmocracy is not ending with the election results. Consumers will play an role in the marketing of Mountain Dew Voltage, and they already are being invited to suggest launch events at DEWmocracy.com. Designed by consumers, blue colored Voltage is a beverage that should appeal to both regular soda drinkers and energy drink aficionados.
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »