Low-sodium chips provide a variety of options for a healthier lifestyle
PepsiCo's Frito-Lay North America business unit, Plano, Texas, launches Pinch of Salt, a low-sodium version of some of its most popular brands — Lay's potato chips, Tostitos tortilla chips, Fritos corn chips and Ruffles potato chips.
While Frito-Lay snack chips are generally moderate in sodium to begin with, the Pinch of Salt product line provides individuals with a low-sodium snack chip that contains 75mg of sodium per one-ounce serving. Depending on the Pinch of Salt product, sodium is 30 to 50 percent less than the original products, fitting strategically within Frito-Lay's health and wellness portfolio, providing a variety of options that fit into a healthier lifestyle.
“The number one request from our consumers is for low sodium versions of the products they love most," says Jaya Kumar, CMO, Frito-Lay North America. "While consumers request low sodium versions of their favorite products, they aren't willing to compromise on taste. The Pinch of Salt line still gives consumers great-tasting snack chips they want, but with less sodium than their original counterparts."
"While Pinch of Salt products meet the consumer need for low-sodium options, many people would be surprised to learn that most of Frito-Lay's core portfolio of snack chips have much less sodium than they think," said Rocco Papalia, senior vice president, research and development. "Since the salt is on the chip's surface, the salt flavor is prominent compared to foods where the salt is cooked within."
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »