Potential New Option To Reduce Calorie Content In Sweetened Products
Redpoint Corporation has identified an all-natural sweetness enhancer, RP44. Taste tests conducted by an independent research laboratory demonstrate that RP44 enables the reduction of up to 25% of the caloric sweetener content in product prototypes, while still maintaining the taste quality of the fully sweetened product. RP44 has demonstrated enhancement results with several common sweeteners including sucrose (sugar), fructose and high-fructose corn syrup. As a result of these studies, the company has initiated development activities for RP44.
Redpoint’s sweetness enhancer is intended to be used in relatively small quantities in concert with nutritive sweeteners. It acts by amplifying the sweetness intensity thereby reducing the amount of nutritive sweetener required, while retaining the desirable temporal characteristics and “clean sweet taste” associated with sugar.
Anticipated development activities for RP44 include safety studies to support regulatory filings in the U.S. and elsewhere. Redpoint intends to develop RP44 through the GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) determination/notification process. The GRAS process involves extensive testing to ensure safety in use and usually requires 12-18 months to complete.
Redpoint intends to partner with ingredient suppliers and / or food and beverage companies, to develop and commercialize RP44.
- Sensient Colors Offers Accupak Dissolvable Color Bag
- Biocatalysts Introduces Pectinase 872L Fruit-Firming Enzyme
- Sensient Colors Introduces DustPro NXT
- Sensient Colors Introduces Advanced Emulsion For Natural Colors
- Van Drunen Farms Introduces Freeze-Dried Lime Powder
- FMC BioPolymer reveals its health and nutrition product portfolio
- AKFP introduces Suchero organic coconut palm sugar
- WILD Flavors expands flavoring line with Sweetness Enhancer
- Van Drunen Farms introduces lemon flavoring ingredients
- TIC Gums reveals Add-Here 3200 hydrocolloid system
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »