First Potato Chip Brand Back On Store Shelves
After thinly slicing a Yukon gold potato, frying it in cottonseed oil and seasoning it with sea salt, George Crum was credited with the invention of the first potato chip in 1853. A staple on store shelves until the 1920s, Moon Brand Original Saratoga Chips is once again available to consumers.
The resurrected Moon Brand Original Saratoga Chips is the brainchild of Saratoga Specialties Co., Saratoga Springs, N.Y., which invested significant resources into researching and replicating the flavor and packaging of what is widely recognized as the nation’s first potato chip.
“The original Moon Brand Original Saratoga Chips remained popular for more than 50 years,” says owner Dan Jameson. “It was important for us to stay true to the original recipe so that our chips taste exactly as they did in 1853.”
Each batch of chips is made by hand, using just three quality ingredients: Yukon gold potatoes, grown locally in New York, trans-fat free cottonseed oil and sea salt.
“The reproduced packaging draws consumer attention, but the taste and quality of our chips is why they keep selling out,” Jameson says. “Each chip tastes fresh and satisfies with a really nice crunch. Unlike many other chips, Moon Brand chips are not greasy,” he says, crediting the cottonseed oil. “This trans-fat free vegetable oil does not leave an oily taste in your mouth and showcases the great flavor of the Yukon gold potato. We use cottonseed oil because of its historical significance with our chips, but really the taste speaks for itself. We could not choose a better oil.”
Suggested retail price is $1.49 for a 1.5-oz individual size and $4.99 for a 9-oz. bag.
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »