Ecclefechan Tarts Rediscovered
Aberlour, Scotland-based Walkers Shortbread, founded in 1898, revives a favorite Scottish treat from days gone by in the form of luscious Ecclefechan Tarts. They are sure to delight a new generation on both sides of the Atlantic.
Ecclefechan Tarts once were popular in bakeries throughout Scotland, but the recipe for them had all but disappeared – until now. The style of the tarts is a specialty of the Borders, the southeast region of Scotland that runs from the English border to just south of Edinburgh. Walkers’ new confection has as its namesake the quiet Borders village of Eccelfechan, best known as the birthplace of Victorian essayist and historian Thomas Carlye.
Each of the small, round, deep cups of buttery shortbread pastry is filled to the brim with a rich and moist mixture of juicy sultanas and currants combined with pieces of glacé cherry and chopped almonds, creating a mouth-watering and delicious sensation. Baked in small batches, they contain no artificial flavorings, colorings or additives and are certified kosher.
The cover art on the rectangular 6.3-oz. carton displays the four tarts inside on a silver tray surrounded by fresh cherries and grapes against a background of Walkers’ signature red tartan plaid.
Suggested retail price is $8.99.
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »