Betty Crocker Rolls Out Gluten-Free Dessert MixesMinneapolis-based General Mills introduces a line of gluten-free dessert offerings from Betty Crocker. Varieties include: Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix; Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake Mix; Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix and Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix ― all made in a gluten-free processing facility.
“One in nine U.S. households watches, reduces or avoids gluten intake,” says Michelle Tucker, M.S., registered dietitian and senior scientist of the Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition. “When you combine the number of households with those affected by celiac disease and others that choose to follow a low-gluten or gluten-free diet, it equals the percentage of households that limit dairy intake and is three times the percentage of households that avoid nuts.”
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can lead to damage of the small intestine and can affect the absorption of nutrients from food. People with the disease cannot tolerate even a small amount of gluten, a protein in wheat, rye and barley, among other grains. This disease requires a diet void of traditional wheat-flour-based mixes and baked goods prepared using common traditional baking ingredients for the rest of one’s life. It’s estimated that celiac disease affects about one in 133 people.
Until now, baking for a loved one who has celiac disease meant preparing two kinds of cakes or sweet treats for one celebration ― a gluten-free option and a “regular” cake, pan of brownies or plate of cookies. Additionally, gluten-free mixes were often difficult to find and required a separate trip to a specialty grocery store.
“We’re delighted to welcome back those following a gluten-free diet to the dessert aisle with our new Betty Crocker Gluten Free line,” says Ann Stuart, director of the Betty Crocker Kitchens. “The quality product, incredible taste and easy preparation of these mixes come from a brand they can easily find and fully trust for delicious outcomes.”
Suggested retail price is $4.49.
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Straw-Ber-Rita Blends Bud Light With Authentic Strawberry Margarita Taste
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- Idahoan Foods Bacon and Cheddar Chipotle Gives Mashed Potatoes A Smoky Kick
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now Ľ
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now Ľ