Healthier Blood Sugar Now Available Via Pasta
U.S. importer-producer of branded and private label Italian foods, Racconto Imported Italian Food Products (Melrose Park, Ill., and Naples, Italy) introduces Essentials Glycemic Health Pasta so consumers can help maintain healthy weight, healthy blood sugar levels and energy balance.
Available in three varieties: penne rigate, rotini and rigatoni, the natural pastas are enriched with Hi-maize resistant starch, a natural dietary fiber from corn, courtesy of Bridgewater, N.J.-based National Starch Food Innovation. Rich in whole grains (48g of whole grain per serving), the pastas are an excellent source of fiber (11g of dietary fiber per serving) -- significantly more than the 2g of fiber in standard white pasta or 5g in whole-wheat pasta. And there are only 170 calories per serving.
"Essentials Glycemic Health is designed to help consumers achieve their health and wellness goals while still enjoying the great taste and enjoyment of authentic Italian pasta," says Rod Bambach, vice president of sales for Racconto.
Dietary approaches to maintaining healthy blood sugar levels are important because high blood glucose is the fifth leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. An estimated 47 million Americans have metabolic syndrome, a condition associated with elevated blood sugar and insulin levels, impaired insulin sensitivity and increased risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.
"This is a great example of how Hi-maize resistant starch offers an effective way to make carbohydrate-rich foods, like pasta, baked goods and snacks, into better-for-you foods with the health benefits that consumers demand," says Rhonda Witwer, senior business development manager of nutrition at National Starch Food Innovation. "Our research shows 69 percent of primary grocery shoppers are extremely or very interested in buying or using foods or drinks if they can help manage blood sugar levels."
Suggested retail price is $3.29 to $3.79 per 12-oz. package.
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Straw-Ber-Rita Blends Bud Light With Authentic Strawberry Margarita Taste
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- Idahoan Foods Bacon and Cheddar Chipotle Gives Mashed Potatoes A Smoky Kick
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »