Elm Tree Throat Lozenge Is A Rediscovery Of Native American RemedyMuch that is new in herbal health care can be traced back many years, and sometimes, many centuries. A soothing throat lozenge from Scotts Valley, Calif.-based Planetary Herbals is a perfect example. Slippery Elm Lozenges, based on a natural ingredient -- the inner bark of the slippery elm tree --used by Native Americans, are a natural way to soothe dry, tired, aching throats.
Varieties include: strawberry, tangerine, unflavored, and tangerine with echinacea and vitamin C for added immune support.
Native Americans used slippery elm for many centuries, grinding the inner bark of the tree into a powder and used it in natural balms and as an ingredient for tea. Early pioneers used it to make a nutritious broth. Later, in the 1840s, a slippery elm lozenge became very popular with singers and voice teachers. Most throat preparations of the time contained menthol, which can cause loss of control of vocal cords, whereas slippery elm does not.
"The slippery elm is a native North American tree found throughout central and eastern Canada and the U.S., says Planetary Herbals herbalist Roy Upton. "It is a prime choice of singers because it contains no harsh ingredients that affect the vocal chords. Slippery elm is still used as a nutritious tonifier among modern herbalists."
Suggested retail price is $2.98 for the 24-tab box, $8.98 for the 100-tab box and $15.98 for the 200-tab box.
- The Farmer's Cow Offers Summer-Time Beverages
- Kellogg Co. Introduces Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts
- Kettle Brand Introduces Two New Chip Flavors
- Monogram Food Solutions Introduces Butterball Turkey Jerky Snacks
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »