Frito-Lay Lightly Salted Portfolio Expands
Committed to providing healthier snacking options that deliver great taste, PepsiCo's Frito-Lay North America business unit, Plano, Texas, introduces two new Lightly Salted varieties of chips – Fritos Lightly Salted corn chips (80mg sodium per serving) and Ruffles Lightly Salted potato chips (80mg per serving), which join Lay's Lightly Salted potato chips (90mg per serving), launched in 2000 in select markets, but now available nationally. With at least 50 percent less sodium per 1-oz. serving, these Lightly Salted varieties provide consumers concerned about sodium with delicious new options.
"The No. 1 request from consumers is for lower sodium versions of the snacks they love most," says Ann Mukherjee, chief marketing officer of Frito-Lay North America. "However, they are unwilling to compromise on taste. Lightly salted meets that consumer need. We will continue to build on this effort and look to deliver even more great-tasting options for those consumers focused on sodium."
To put the sodium content in perspective, a 1oz. serving of Lightly Salted chips has less sodium than one slice of wheat bread.
"Many consumers believe Frito-Lay snack chips are high in sodium, but they are often surprised to learn that is not the case," says Mike Zbuchalski, group vice president of R&D. "Because the salt is sprinkled on the outside of the snack chip, the salt flavor is prominent compared to foods where the salt is cooked within."
Suggested retail price for Lay's Lightly Salted and Ruffles Lightly Salted is $3.99 per 10-oz. and 10.5-oz. bags respectively, and $2.99 for a 9.25-oz. bag of Fritos Lightly Salted.
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »