American Italian Pasta Introduces Gluten-Free Pasta LineFor those who follow gluten-free diets, ordering a plate of spaghetti and meatballs in a restaurant has meant dialing back flavor expectations and settling for sticky, tasteless pasta – if gluten-free pastas were on the menu at all. Kansas City, Mo.-based American Italian Pasta Co. now, offers a delicious alternative for gluten-free dieters, and allows foodservice entities to offer great-tasting, gluten-free pasta as a menu staple.
AIPC created gluten-free pasta that, for the first time, matches the color, texture and flavor of traditional pasta through the use of a yellow corn/white rice blend. Sold under the Heartland brand, the product is available in three shapes: Spaghetti, Penne and Fusilli, and is also egg-free and dairy-free.
Foodservice outlets can capitalize on the burgeoning trend toward gluten-free eating. In fact, gluten-free pasta sales are up 40 percent over a year ago, according Nielsen Co.'s report for the week ending March 13, 2010. Most consumers who require gluten-free diets suffer from celiac disease, which, according to a recent Mayo Clinic study, is four times more prevalent today than it was 50 years ago. A gluten-free diet often is recommended, as well, for individuals with autism or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, two other growing conditions in the U.S.
Foodservice outlets can leverage this trend – and build customer loyalty and boost sales – by offering Heartland pasta to their patrons. Heartland pasta is more affordable than competing gluten-free pastas, allowing foodservice retailers to offer gluten-free pasta for about $.50 per serving.
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now Ľ
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now Ľ