In California, Sausage Is All About The PorkSan Leandro, Calif.-based Saag's Specialty Meats, a Hormel Foods brand, expanded its line of Naturals sausage with the addition of three pork sausages -- Smoked Pork, Calabrese and Andouille -- and one breakfast link -- Pork Links. They debut in Bay Area independent grocers, Andronico's, Mollie Stone's, Lunardi's, and the new Sprouts Farmers Market in Sunnyvale.
Saag's Naturals use whole, natural ingredients and do not contain preservatives, fillers or MSG. Made from premium cuts of pork, custom spice blends and fresh ingredients, Saag's Naturals pork sausages are coarsely ground and packed in all-natural casings. Calabrese is a moderately spicy Italian style sausage with fennel and crushed red chilies. The zesty flavor of Andouille is built around Cajun seasoning and naturally hickory smoked. Smoked Pork is just that, naturally hickory smoked. Pork Link breakfast sausages combine sage and crushed red pepper to start the day with some kick. Saag's applies classic sausage-making techniques, based on its German and Swiss heritage.
"Our natural chicken sausages have been very popular among consumers looking for minimally processed, fully cooked sausage," explains Saag's president, Tim Dam. "We saw a niche for pork sausage, beyond the breakfast link, because so many people are rediscovering pork and many chefs have renewed interest in the flavors only pork can add to a dish."
Suggested retail price is $5.99 to $6.99 for each 12 oz package.
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »