Sara Lee Reformulates Soft & Smooth BreadsConsumers asked, so Downers Grove, Ill.-based Sara Lee North American Fresh Bakery listened by reformulated two of its most popular breads -- Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Made with Whole Grain White bread and Sara Lee Soft & Smooth 100% Whole Wheat bread by removing the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and including sugar only.
"High Fructose Corn Syrup has been on the minds of many," says Connie Diekman, M.Ed, RD, LD, FADA and former president of the American Dietetic Association. "While health organizations note no difference in how HFCS and sugar are metabolized in the body, this removal provides options to moms and the overall consumer who prefer products made with sugar only."
Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Made with Whole Grain White bread is an excellent source of whole grain (26g per two-slice serving) and calcium, and is a good source of fiber and vitamin D. Sara Lee Soft & Smooth 100% Whole Wheat now also includes vitamin D and is considered an excellent source of calcium.
"Sara Lee Soft & Smooth breads are among the best selling breads in the U.S. and our core audience, parents with children, has indicated that they want product options without high fructose corn syrup" says Jeff Dryfhout, director, Sara Lee North American Fresh Bakery. "With this new recipe Sara Lee Soft & Smooth bread is responding to the needs of our consumers while continuing to provide great-tasting breads with the mild taste and soft texture families' love."
Suggested retail price is $2.79.
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Straw-Ber-Rita Blends Bud Light With Authentic Strawberry Margarita Taste
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- Idahoan Foods Bacon and Cheddar Chipotle Gives Mashed Potatoes A Smoky Kick
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »