Healthy Choice Soup Reduces Sodium
Nearly 70 percent of consumers rated sodium as the most important health-related factor when selecting soup and 42 percent indicated that all natural ingredients are important, according to Mintel.
In October 2009, Omaha, Neb.-based ConAgra Foods pledged to reduce sodium across its portfolio of food products by 20 percent by 2015. It has reduced sodium by 15 percent, from 460 milligrams to 390mg per one-cup serving, for its top two varieties of Healthy Choice soup - Chicken Noodle and Chicken with Rice.
Additionally, Healthy Choice introduces three varieties of All Natural soups with 390mg of sodium per one-cup serving, including Cheese Tortellini, Red Beans & Rice, and a reformulated Tomato Basil.
"The entire line of Healthy Choice soup has always met the government guideline for 'healthy' sodium levels, which is a maximum of 480mg per serving, and the five new soups contain about 20 percent less than this amount," says Jane Anders, vice president, research, quality & innovation, ConAgra Foods.
Suggested retail price for a 15-oz can of Healthy Choice soup is $2.19 and a 14-oz microwaveable bowl is $2.49. Both contain two servings.
- Mr. Dee's Introduces Dee Amore Simply Baked Fries
- Inventure Foods Offers TGI Friday's Snacks
- Kraft Introduces Jell-o Arroz Con Leche
- Kathie's Kitchen Expands Line of SuperSeedz Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Nestle Skinny Cow Ice Cream Candy Bars
- Setton Farms Introduces Pistachio Chewy Bites
- AriZona Beverages Offers Soda Shaq
- AmeriCandy Offers Choc-Liq-Stick Chocolate and Bourbon Gift
- Kettle Brand Introduces Two New Chip Flavors
- Kellogg Co. Introduces Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »