Kellogg Takes Gluten Free Rice Krispies Mainstream
For people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity, the wait for is over. Kellogg Co., Battle Creek, Mich., launches Kellogg's Rice Krispies Gluten Free cereal alongside the original variety. This offers long-time fans and a new generation of gluten-sensitive kids the ability to eat the cereal "that talks" or a batch of gluten-free Rice Krispies Treats marshmallow squares.
Rice Krispies Gluten Free eliminates barley malt (the source of gluten in the original cereal) and is made with whole grain brown rice to differentiate it from the original and for flavor. Each serving contains 120 calories, less than 1g of sugar, 1g each of fat and fiber, 3g of protein and 190mg of sodium. The cereal is fortified with several vitamins and minerals. It is produced in a separate facility that has been making gluten-free products for nearly a decade. Each batch of cereal will be tested to ensure its gluten-free status, as will the production line.
"We heard the strong desire from people within the gluten-free community, especially parents, for more affordable foods that they can serve their families, and we are helping to fill that need," says Doug VanDeVelde, senior vice president of marketing and innovation.
Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD, and author of several books about kids and nutrition, explains: "Many people with celiac disease, including children, often go undiagnosed for years. Because the condition can present itself with a broad range of symptoms, including various food intolerances and gastrointestinal upset, the signs of celiac disease may be attributed to other issues," she says. "If parents suspect they or their children may have problems with gluten, they should ask their doctor for a blood test and other tests to help diagnose the disease. A registered dietitian with expertise in celiac disease and gluten sensitivity is an invaluable source of information about following a gluten-free diet."
Suggested retail price is $3.99.
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks Taste Like Real Butter With Less Saturated Fat
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- Funky Monkey And Marvel Present Superhero Fruit Snacks
- Resers Introduces Two New Baja Cafe Salsa Varieties
- Caribou Coffee Company Introduces Two New Whole Bean Coffees
- Mondelez Introduces Whole-Grain Brown Rice Triscuits
- Beech-Nut Launches Line Of Baby Food In Traditional Latin Flavors
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now Ľ
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now Ľ