Weight Watchers Fresh Meals And Deli Salads Available In Portion-Controlled, Prepared Meals
Jericho, N.Y.-based Weight Watchers International Inc. and Newburyport, Mass.-based Greencore USA, a leading international manufacturer of convenience foods which produces fresh prepared meals under the Weight Watchers brand launch Weight Watchers Fresh Meals and Deli Salads, the first mainstream, portion-controlled, chilled prepared meals and salads available at retail in the U.S., and feature Weight Watchers PointsPlus values.
Found in the ready-to-go or deli/meat departments (not frozen food sections), the Weight Watchers Fresh Meals offering has been increased to a wide variety of 13 meals, ranging in flavors and cuisine, and featuring many home cooking-type favorites, such as:
- Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo with Fettuccini
- Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roast Turkey with Cranberry Stuffing topped with seasoned turkey gravy
- Three Cheese Ravioli; Three Cheese Macaroni
- Chicken Con Carne with Beans
- Chicken with BBQ Sauce
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Beef Lasagna
- Baked Ziti
- Turkey Meatballs and Penne
- Mediterranean Chicken
- Santa Fe Rice & Beans.
Deli Salads include:
- Seafood Salad in a Lemon-Dill Dressing
- Chicken Salad with Dried Cranberries
- Rainbow Pasta Salad with Garden Vegetables
- Potato Salad in a Creamy Mustard Dressing
- Macaroni Salad with Bell Peppers and Chives
- Coleslaw with Fresh Carrots and Onions.
“There is a very strong story regarding sales potential and incremental volume and profitability,” says Chris Solly, VP Licensed Brands at Greencore USA, referencing a 2010 Weight Watchers Switching Analysis. “In a recent IRI study, we saw extremely impressive numbers showing new traffic, new sales, and therefore new growth for the retailer.”
The IRI CCR Loyalty Card analysis showed remarkable results: 73 percent of Weight Watchers Fresh Meals sales are incremental to the store. The deli department saw incredible increases -- a 100 percent benefit to the deli department with 48 percent of sales from completely new purchasers to the ‘meals’ category at the deli.
“Weight Watcher Fresh meals and Deli Salads represent one of the few ways retailers can significantly change the fresh-food landscape in their stores, with instant results,” adds Solly. “By bringing new consumers to the department, and then having them purchase additional items, retailers get a double sales benefit from stocking these items. Consumers are on the constant look-out for new and interesting, and when it comes packaged with a strong brand delivering fresh, tasty and convenient foods, it is a recipe for strong incremental profits.”
Additional results from the same IRI study collected over eight weeks from a major retailer show that in a very short period Weight Watchers Fresh Meals stimulates new traffic, new sales and new growth: Of the 86,915 households who purchased a Weight Watchers Fresh Meal, 53,275 households, or 63 percent, did not shop the Grab Go category prior to the launch of this line; These 53,275 new households account for $687,890 in Weight Watchers Fresh Meals sales and $955,246 in total Grab Go category sales, i.e., they contribute to the Weight Watchers meal sales plus an additional 39 percent of new sales.
Suggested retail price is $1.99 to $2.99.
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »