Eckrich Introduces Lower Sodium Smoked SausageCincinnati-Ohio.-based John Morrell Food Group, a subsidiary of Smithfield foods, introduces Lower Sodium Smoked Sausage, a 13-oz. unique product delivering 33 percent less sodium as compared to USDA data for smoked sausage, enabling consumers who are watching their sodium intake to continue to enjoy the same great taste of Eckrich smoked sausage they've always loved. Eckrich Lower Sodium Smoked Sausage is the first of its kind in the smoked sausage category and extends Eckrich's smoked sausage product line to provide greater choice to consumers.
Technomic Inc. research shows that 66 percent of U.S. consumers say sodium is their top concern when looking at food labels, and more than half actively seek out food items with lower sodium. Eckrich is able to make this delicious smoked sausage by using a breakthrough all-natural sodium alternative, providing full flavor with one-third less sodium as compared with other smoked sausage products. The patented salt replacement tastes and functions just like salt without delivering the same sodium levels.
"We looked at a great deal of research showing that there's a group of consumers who are looking for food options with less sodium," says Charles Gitkin, vice president, marketing, innovation and R&D for the John Morrell Food Group. "We are now able to deliver a product that has the same great taste of Eckrich with less of the sodium they are trying to avoid."
And he adds, "Some companies create reduced-sodium products just by taking salt out, and they wind up taking flavor out in the process. But our natural sodium alternative allows for a one-to-one replacement of salt, so you never know it's missing. You still have full flavor."
- Kraft Foods introduces Velveeta Toppers
- Pure Leaf Iced Tea from Lipton Contains Just a Hint of Sugar
- Edison Grainery Offers Organic Quinoa Pasta
- CredibleCravings Offers Organic, Gluten-Free Whole Food Bar
- San-J International Introduces Lower-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Chez Marie Introduces Hearty Hemp Seed Veggie Patties
- Kraft Introduces Oscar Mayer Gluten-Free Chicken Breast Hot Dog
- Ian's Natural Foods Offers New Gluten-Free Foods
- Veev Introduces VitaFrute Ready-Made Cocktails
- Yoplait Introduces Cocktail-Flavored Yogurts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »