Enerjive Introduces Quinoa Skinny Crackers
Quinoa's popularity as a nutrient-rich, gluten-free grain (but it is actually a seed) has grown around the world in the past five years. So much so that the United Nations declared 2013 as "The International Year of the Quinoa" to recognize the Andean indigenous people who have maintained, controlled, protected and preserved quinoa as a food.
In response, all types of food manufacturers are developing products featuring quinoa. It is a versatile ingredient that complements the better-for-you trend, as it is a source of complete protein, as well as a good source of fiber and a variety of essential vitamins and minerals.
Ottawa-based enerjive is one of the first to put quinoa into cracker form with new Quinoa Skinny Crackers. These gluten-free snacks are low in sugar and sodium and are designed to help maintain hormonal and energy balance throughout the day. This assists with optimizing metabolism, boosting energy and reducing cravings, according to the company. The crackers come in five flavors -- Chocolate Fix, Cozy Apple Cinnamon, Garlic Cayenne Heat, Lemon Berry Burst and Rock Salt Crave -- and are 90 calories or less per 19g serving, which is two skinny cracker sticks.
"There's never been a cracker like this before," according to Korey Kealey, president and co-creator. Distribution is currently limited to Canada, with plans to expand to the States in 2013.
- Inventure Foods Offers TGI Friday's Snacks
- Setton Farms Introduces Pistachio Chewy Bites
- Kraft Introduces Jell-o Arroz Con Leche
- Kathie's Kitchen Expands Line of SuperSeedz Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Nestle Skinny Cow Ice Cream Candy Bars
- AriZona Beverages Offers Soda Shaq
- AmeriCandy Offers Choc-Liq-Stick Chocolate and Bourbon Gift
- Kettle Brand Introduces Two New Chip Flavors
- The Farmer's Cow Offers Summer-Time Beverages
- Kellogg Co. Introduces Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »