Seinfeld Soup Inspiration Goes Retail
In 1984, The Original SoupMan opened its doors at 55th St. and 8th Ave. in Manhattan. This soup café was the inspiration for the famous Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode, which after broadcasting, made the tiny storefront a worldwide destination. And now, New York City-based SoupMan Inc. is making The Original SoupMan available in the ambient temperature soup aisle of supermarkets across the country.
Packaged in shelf-stable paperboard cartons, the initial rollout comes in four varieties: Chicken Noodle, Lentil, Lobster Bisque and Tomato Bisque. Suggested retail price is $3.79-3.99 for a two-serving, 17.3-oz. carton.
Basketball great Shaquille O'Neal, a brand ambassador and equity partner, is promoting the product through the "Soup with Shaq Sweepstakes," a Facebook-driven contest that will give four grand prize winners the chance to win a trip for two to meet Shaq and talk over a bowl of The Original SoupMan soup. O'Neal wants to raise awareness among families that premium soups are a smart food choice. He is also active with the company in its school lunch program, which includes affordable, low-sodium, low-fat options that meet new USDA guidelines for school foods. Already The Original SoupMan Mexicali Bean lunch is being served to New York City public school students. Shaq-A-Roni 'n Meatballs is about to be added to the menu.
- Mr. Dee's Introduces Dee Amore Simply Baked Fries
- Inventure Foods Offers TGI Friday's Snacks
- Kraft Introduces Jell-o Arroz Con Leche
- Kathie's Kitchen Expands Line of SuperSeedz Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Nestle Skinny Cow Ice Cream Candy Bars
- Setton Farms Introduces Pistachio Chewy Bites
- AriZona Beverages Offers Soda Shaq
- AmeriCandy Offers Choc-Liq-Stick Chocolate and Bourbon Gift
- Kettle Brand Introduces Two New Chip Flavors
- Kellogg Co. Introduces Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts
- All products »
Access Food Processing and Wellness Foods magazines on-line and receive an e-mail each month when your new issue is ready. Subscribe Now »
Biweekly updates delivering feature articles, top industry news, company news, product announcements, technical issues and more. Subscribe Now »