Voices: Market View
Market View, written by John Stanton, Ph.D, takes on the marketing side of the food and beverage business. John is a professor of food marketing at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia and the editor of two food journals. He wrote the popular Market View column for Food Processing for many years until December 2005, when he asked to take a few years off. All rested up now, he's back with a monthly column on the marketing side of the business.
The other day a person younger than me (which doesn't eliminate much of the world's population) said to me it's too bad that the food we have today isn’t as wonderful as the food we had years ago. It made me think of the food we had 50 years ago. How safe was it, and how convenient was it? Were we really better off in days of yore?Read More
More from this author...
- Sep 22, 2015Waiting this long to make breakfast available all day carries a lesson for food and beverage processors.
- Jun 23, 2015The era of renewed innovation must begin in earnest.
- Jan 28, 2015What I've learned about this next generation of food and beverage marketers.
- Oct 29, 2014With consumers poring over labels and ingredient statements, choose your words carefully.
- Sep 29, 2014Myths harm the food industry, so work to stop them.
- Sep 2, 2014Profit is the reward a company gets for satisfying customers, not the main objective.
- Aug 11, 2014A word to food marketers: Don’t get bogged down at either extreme of planning.
- Jun 18, 2014Labels are often an underutilized method of communicating with consumers. Market expert John Stanton asks: Why not make your labels more powerful.
- May 27, 2014You can still forge a relationship with the consumer; just consider using a modern medium.
- Apr 21, 2014The NHANES database has a wealth of free information, including consumption, not sales data.
- Mar 27, 2014Rather than the 70-90 percent failure rate, our marketing expert's research indicates 66 percent are successful.
- Mar 4, 2014In pursuing one niche of consumers, be careful you don’t alienate others.
- Feb 4, 2014As long as most shoppers remain female, it's essential to get more women in marketing and leadership positions.
- Jan 2, 2014Make great-tasting food without trying to impress the 'healthy' people.
- Dec 2, 2013Store brands no longer are just about price; label claims are closing the deal at the point of purchase.